KVUE, the TEGNA Media owned ABC affiliate in Austin, Texas, is looking for a seasoned leader to oversee digital content gathering, creation and distribution. The Assistant News Director of Digital will work collaboratively with the entire newsroom, marketing and sales, teaching employees how to create unique, shareable content that evokes emotion on all platforms. Our ideal candidate can identify engaging content, teach others how to do so, and develop a roadmap on how to create digital-interactive content to grow our audience.
In this role, you will:
· Help our news team create unique digital newscasts and digital segments evoking emotion
· Teach how to shoot and edit news stories for all digital platforms
· Write and teach our writers to do so in an exciting, captivating and authentic manner
· Use and teach the team to use the latest editing and photography tools to tell great stories
· Develop and teach staff to develop content through social listening and independent sources
· Use analytics to guide content decisions for the newsroom
· Be a strategic long-term planner
· Be an innovator, disrupter
· Use creative production techniques such as graphics and new forms of media (viewer pictures, webcam interviews, etc.) to enhance stories.
· Lead and inspire entire news team to contribute to a great digital product
· Work with reporters on good, engaging social content creating growth strategies for all talent
· Perform other tasks as required by overall news director
· Oversee a new kind of newsroom assignment desk that is geared to mining social media for the next big story
Here’s what you need:
· BA/BS in journalism, communications or related field
· 5 years’ experience leading and supervising a content generating team
· Bilingual (English & Spanish) speaking preferred
· Strong SEO/SEM headline coaching skills
· Experienced with A/B website testing
· Analytics Management: CrowdTangle, ChartBeat etc.
· Experience in all forms of digital content development and execution, photojournalism, editing, and content management systems
· Understanding of the ethics and principles of professional journalism
· Skills in producing engaging, content-driven digital content
· Strong social media skills, including an active news hound presence on Twitter and Facebook
· Knowledge of ENPS, Edius and Axis graphics a plus
· Organizational skills and the ability to work under daily deadline pressure
· Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news and rapidly changing events
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. With 46 stations in 38 markets, TEGNA delivers relevant content and information to consumers across platforms. It is the largest owner of top 4 affiliates in the top 25 markets, reaching approximately one-third of all television households nationwide. Each month, TEGNA reaches 50 million adults on-air and 32 million across its digital platforms. TEGNA has been consistently honored with the industry’s top awards, including Edward R. Murrow, George Polk, Alfred I. DuPont and Emmy Awards. TEGNA delivers results for advertisers through unparalleled and innovative solutions including OTT local advertising network Premion, centralized marketing resource Hatch, and G/O Digital, a one-stop shop for local businesses to connect with consumers through digital marketing. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. For more information, visit www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information.