The Local Media Association is seeking a Chief Content Officer to lead strategic programs that will help the organization’s membership with their audience development initiatives. The Chief Content Officer will also oversee the internal and external content direction for the organization.
LMA is a media trade organization representing more than 2,800 newspapers, TV stations, radio stations, directories, pure plays and research & development partners. LMA assists local media companies with their transformation strategies via cutting-edge programs, conferences, webinars, research and training.
The ideal candidate will have several years of experience driving audience development initiatives in areas like digital storytelling, social media, video, podcasting and newsletters. They should have experience leading change in news organizations and be able to point to specific initiatives that increased and engaged audiences. The ability to articulate strategies and then help newsrooms implement them is critical to this role.
Some specific things you would do:
• Run and grow the Chief Content Club, a group of two dozen product leaders and editors who meet monthly to network and talk about how they are approaching key content topics. You would network with this group of key industry leaders and lead group discussions through tapping into members of the club as well as bringing outside voices in to ensure an engaging, valuable discussion each month.
• Offer consulting services to media companies seeking to evolve their digital content and products. This could include everything from delivering strategic direction around large newsroom initiatives, product insights and guidance with newsroom structure and efficiencies.
• Work with news leaders at social media companies on key initiatives that will benefit the industry, as well as training for media companies on how to make the most out of the products that social media companies offer.
• Oversee LMA’s social media content and tone, as well as the organization’s website and the content that appears on it.
• Develop content strategies to help LMA profile its membership and the innovative programs they are launching. Also, produce content that helps LMA build even more interest for its programs and events. Specifically, the CCO will produce monthly white papers on key audience development trends and will produce content for our series of weekly newsletters.
• Oversee the user experience of all LMA products ensuring they are best in class and serving as an example to the industry.
• Manage the technology needs of the organization, seeking tools that provide the right reporting and content, while allowing LMA to build better products to its membership. The CCO will lead the organization to a new CRM, marketing and content management system technologies in 2018 and then provide ongoing management of those tools.
A few things we’re looking for:
• 5-10 years of experience in newsroom leadership roles leading cultural and product change.
• Experience innovating in social media and digital products that are helping gain new audience, i.e. newsletters, video, etc.
• Experience with current data tools that are helping guide coverage decisions in newsrooms and an understanding of key metrics being used to engage audiences today.
• Ability to relate to content trends and needs in newspapers, TV and radio.
• Wide array of contacts both in newsrooms and the R&D space.
• Technology expertise in content-based systems and tools.
• Word Press or other CMS experience.
• Ability to travel 25 percent of the time.
The position is remote.
Interested? Send your resume, cover letter and salary requirements to email@example.com