Position Summary: WROC-TV 8, a CBS Affiliate, seeks a Chief Engineer to oversee the day to day operations of the Engineering Department and is responsible for the maintenance of all broadcast technology and equipment at the station and transmitter sites. Assigns projects to staff and verifies that deadlines are being met.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Manages all aspects of the Engineering Department.
• Maintains all broadcast technology and equipment for the station and transmitter sites.
• Ensures station compliance with rules and regulations applicable to FCC, local, state, and federal laws.
• Works with corporate leadership to implement new technologies and technical infrastructure for the station.
• Manages engineering and technology capital projects to the established budgets.
• Manages and coordinates fiber connectivity, production setups, A/V routing and patching, audio equipment, graphics systems and editing systems.
• Working knowledge of television and digital studio broadcast and production systems including: video server technology, digital HD and SD signal routing and switching, digital SD and HD encoding technologies and techniques, television and radio automation and traffic systems and the interface of these systems, audio encoding, routing and storage, television editing systems, large disk-based video and audio storage systems and integration of the broadcast and production environment into an IT system.
• Evaluates, selects, installs, services and maintains station equipment and information technology systems.
• Maintains station fleet of vehicles, including live satellite trucks; repairs station infrastructures.
• Communicates and coordinates equipment maintenance and training with vendors/contractors.
• Prepares and maintains Engineering Department budget and expenses.
• Works closely with General Manager and department managers to ensure station objectives are being met.
• Guides, directs and motivates subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
• Evaluates employee access and trains employees on station information systems or new equipment.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Communications, or equivalent combination of education and work related experience preferred.
• Minimum five years’ experience with Information Technology Systems in a television broadcasting environment.
• Experience with Avid systems, digital transmitters, microwave equipment, and other broadcast-related equipment.
• Fluency in English; strong communication, both verbal and written.
• Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
• Ability to identify the developmental needs of others, coach and mentor others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments, and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to work extended hours, as needed.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The Chief Engineer must be able to stand, sit, reach, climb, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work in close proximity to others, work outdoors in all weather conditions, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. The Chief Engineer must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment weighing up to 50 pounds, and be able to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls. Repetitive movements are required.
WROC-TV8 IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER