Nexstar Broadcasting is seeking an accomplished news manager to help lead local content initiatives across the group and complement a dynamic Corporate Content team. The position of Director of Local Content Development will work with our growing group of stations to advance our strong multi-platform approach by providing leadership with our broadcast news products, web and mobile content initiatives, and in social media engagement. Position will work closely with the rest of the Operations team to build on our Company’s approach to “Local” while working with our Senior Management on projects, brand development and market evaluations. Content is the key to drive “Local” and the development of group wide content initiatives to grow ratings and revenue is essential across all local markets. At Nexstar, we have a dynamic group that believes in the quality of our local product. We’re looking for someone who understands local television and how to be successful at it and is not afraid to get it done. If you are looking for a job that doesn’t involve travel, this is not the job for you. Ideal candidate should have at minimum 5 years of News Management experience. The position will be based at the company’s headquarters in Irving, Texas.
This is a unique content position with an evolving media company. Nexstar operates a local news bureau in Washington, D.C., which provides content to 100 markets on multiple platforms. The company has 18 state capitol news bureaus, which are focused on local coverage and issues within state government. Nine of the state bureaus were launched within the last 12 months. Debates and issue based political reporting is a central focus for the group. Several statewide debates have been presented in recent years including for the U.S. Senate seats in Iowa and Nevada and the Governor’s race in Louisiana. Our journalists regularly cover the local angle at major events including the Olympics, Super Bowl, Daytona 500, CMA Awards and much more. Nexstar is redefining the word local through our news consumer focused content multi-platform initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide regular feedback and communication to our News Directors, General Managers and Creative Services Directors on their local product. This will include frequent market visits to assess the product and how the local news operation is living their brand.
- Coach key talent, reporters, producers and news managers during station visits.
- Act as a coordinator during major breaking news events to ensure both local and regional news operations have complete coverage.
- Develop accountability standards for news managers through regular feedback sessions, product reviews and regional meetings.
- Work closely with Nexstar’s Digital team to develop unique content for all platforms including a heavy focus on social and video content.
- Recruit qualified candidates into the organization and assist local news managers with talent searches.
- Coordinate monthly conference calls with the markets to share initiatives, best practices and regional initiatives.
- Work with the EVP of Station Operations and Content Development and the VP of Station Operations on assessing and recommending technology advancements in the markets.
- Work with station Creative Services Directors, General Managers and corporate executives to develop a promotion strategy which recruits viewers to the news product.
- Develop relationships with vendors and content providers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To apply follow direct link below: